Monday, 21 September 2009

More tiling ...

Over the next few weeks this blog is just going to be continuous pictures of us tiling. Shows progress I guess!

This week we almost finished the floor. The shower tray took the longest working out all the angles and make sure the slope was correct. We've use practically all 6 bags of adhesive we had for the entire room!! ah well .....

Here's some piccies

Monday, 14 September 2009

We started tiling! woop woop

My mission for this weekend was to get the tiling in the bathroom started (didn't even care if we laid one tile!!)

Reza started last week by prepping the wetroom area. He primed and tanked the shower tray and the area around. We were a bit disappointed the tanking liquid wasn't pink like in the pictures hehe

Saturday evening we made a start on the underfloor heating. I suspected it would take longer than we thought but I wasn't prepared for the complete STRESS it was.
I worked out the floor area minus all the bits we weren't heating and worked out the spacing to be 6.4cm. We started and laid a lovely neat cable until almost the end ....... we then realised we had ALOT of cable left which you can't cut or adjust. We were something like 9m out AAARGH!!! (I was happy in this pic as didn't know what was to come!)

It was now midnight and we had to start all over again and probably guess the spacing. We decided to get up early in the morning and give it another go. I pulled up all the cable and wound it back up. We tried 5.5cm and hoped for the best. This time was a lot harder as we'd drawn lines on the floor from before and it was pretty tricky trying to find the correct ones.

Our second attempt wasn't quite as good but at least the cable ended in the correct place with none left over. 3 hours later ....Phew!!

Dad arrived and him and Reza started the tiling........
He'd previously spent some time working out the spacing and cutting for the tiles so this saved a job on the day. We then told him he only had 30 mins working time before the adhesive set .. eeek! No problem!?

We needed a lot of adhesive (almost 3 bags out of the total 5 allocated for the room) just to level the floor out. Couldn't use self levelling as the wetroom area needed to slope.

I'm so happy with the tiles we've laid so far ... they look ace!!! :)

I think by the end of next weekend we'll have the floor completed (dependant on how tricky the sloping wetroom area is).

Tuesday, 8 September 2009

Bathroom - Tanking & Underfloor Heating (Step 1)

Finally we're making good progress on the bathroom! :)

Reza and Pete fixed the shower tray in place:

Then the insulation boards for the UFH went down:

Reza has now started to prep for the tanking to be completed this week:

Other exciting news is that we had a lovely moving in BBQ :) Yes, I know we've been in since May but we haven't had everyone round all at once. We cleared the front room to set up Guitar Hero and will did a yummy BBQ. Shame the weather was a bit rubbish but everyone had a fab time :) I'm not sure ever in the history of Seaton Road has one household filled up their can and bottle bins so much!!

Had another clear up this weekend and finally got rid of every single bit of rubbish in the front garden!! To most ppl this picture still make it looks awful but it's a massive improvement. I've been trying to get rid of the trolley for weeks now grrrrr

At last we've now got 2 sofas in our lounge woop woop! :) That was the most exciting thing about my weekend. Now a whole 4 ppl can sit down in our house without the use of deckchairs.